Sunday, January 12, 2014

Week 1 Status Update

So it's been a week since I began the challenge to stop buying things for myself...for a year...in order to give more. Before beginning this project, it was already one of my passions to give to others. However, I didn't make much of an effort to give other than tithing and the occasional fundraiser that popped up on my radar.

I haven't felt much different this week. I realized that I don't really spend much money on myself in terms of things. I spend money on food and experiences. For example, this week I bought lunch on Tuesday and Friday. I also went to dinner with co-workers on Wednesday and with my husband on Thursday. Then we went to DC today, so we had lunch there and grabbed dinner after church tonight because we will both be gone this week for work (didn't want leftovers). I had only planned to eat out twice a week if you read my last post. But Wednesday's dinner, I didn't end up paying for, which means I technically only broke my rule three times by eating out five times instead of two. That doesn't justify breaking my rule, I'm just impressed I was able to keep my eating out somewhat in check. Another example - I bought bus tickets to NYC for my husband and myself.

These are minor purchases in my realm, but it opened my eyes to how much I spend on food. Having an unlimited budget for food seems like cheating, so I'm glad I made some rules for myself. When I bought the bus tickets, realized that I have a few trips planned this year and I will have to make an adjustment to the eating out rule, or I'll be really hungry (and not pleasant). Eating out rule adjustment - when Aaron or myself do not pay for the meal, it does not go against my two meal a week rule.

Now that I've confessed my purchases, even though they don't count, let's move on.

First you should know, I didn't end up getting a hair cut, so this may be an interesting year.

Second, this past week I spent a lot of time researching different organizations whose aim is to help others. Thanks to the documentary Craigslist Joe and my friend Abe's blog post, I wanted to learn what they are doing and how I can help other than just monetarily. The A21 Campaign provides 21 ways to get involved that don't require a huge time commitment or energy spent. You can simply send a letter to a survivor or you can pray for them. I also read about KIVA, whose mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Both are great organizations that I've been introduced to by the one and only Elisa at the Average Advocate.

Third, I was tempted to buy several things. Nothing major, but things I clearly do not need.

Alright, so now for the summary part. I'm not linking to the things I want because that's counterproductive. Part of this project is to fight consumerism. Linking would allow me to go back in a year and buy it once this is over...or encourage you to buy it.

---------------------------------------
Week 1 Summary:
Wanted
Gym bag
Leggings
Wash Booster

Donated
$25 KIVA loan (I'm not sure if this link will expire.)
7 Photos through Donate A Photo (Johnson & Johnson)

Joined
Made to Crave online Bible study (Proverbs31 Ministries)
Reading God's Story: One-Year Chronological Plan (YouVersion)
The National Marrow Donor Registry (Be The Match)

Wish List
Building a Discipleship Culture by Mike Breen and Steve Cockram
---------------------------------------

Overall, I felt pretty productive this week.  I felt like I was actually working towards making a difference in this world by helping others. Everything I did was minor, but it's the little things that add up. I'm not trying to say how awesome I am, I'm trying to point out that it was incredibly easy to do the things I did this week.

I'll leave you with a challenge. This week I encourage you to watch Craigslist Joe and think about how you can help someone else, even in what would seem the smallest of ways to you.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment